Nicolas Carmarans

For many years Nicolas Carmarans ran the delightful wine bar in Paris called Cafe de la Nouvelle Mairie. It, as its name suggests, is a meeting place where people go to sip on good wines, eat interesting food and solve the problems of the world.

He sold it recently to concentrate on his vineyard in south west France where he makes stunningly delicious natural wines from local grape varieties such as Fer Servadou and Negret de Banhars.

Nicolas at the recent Dive Bouteille event in the Loire

We were having a drink at Paris hotspot Tombe du Ciel. When we asked for their favourite red wine, the Mauvais Temps was unhesitatingly offered. We were amazed by its freshness, complexity and general drinkability. As a result we became determined to offer it to our clients in Australia.

Nicolas Carmarans Vin de Pays de l'Aveyron Mauvais Temps Rouge 2012

The Nicolas Carmarans Mauvais Temps is a particular favourite. This light, but complex red wine from the Aveyron in central France is lively, exciting, delicious and leaves you wanting more!

The wine comprises four grape varieties, namely 30% Negret de Banhars, 50% Fer Servadou (known locally as Mansois) and 10% each of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. The grapes undergo semi-carbonic maceration in 15 hectolitre conical tanks for 20 days and the juice is then transferred to old barriques for 12 months.

The vineyard is very steep with narrow terraces covered with native herbs in a stunning valley near the village of Campouriez.

RRP: $44

Nicolas Carmarans Vin de Pays de l'Aveyron l'Altre Rouge 2010

The Nicolas Carmarans l'Altre is a wine that uniquely represents the wines of the Aveyron. As with the Mauvais Temps is is a light, juicy, vibrant wine that speaks of the terroir of this area.

The wine is a single varietal 100% Fer Servadou (known locally as Mansois). The grapes undergo semi-carbonic maceration in 15 hectolitre conical tanks for 20 days and are then transferred to old barriques for 12 months. Before bottling, the tank spends a day in the sun to give it more strength says Nicolas.

RRP: SOLD OUT

Nicolas Carmarans IGP Aveyron Cuvée 12 2012

This wine is named after the départment that the wine comes from, namely Aveyron. In France, each départment has a unique number such as 84 for Vaucluse in Provence or 11 for the Aude in Languedoc. The number for Aveyron is 12.

This wine comprises Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc which were fermented in tanks and then the wine transferred to old barriques for 6 months prior to bottling around Christmas time.

RRP: $44

Nicolas Carmarans IGP Aveyron Maximus Rouge 2012

The Nicolas Carmarans Maximus is a fresh, vibrant red wine that sees 16 days of carbonic maceration to ensure the freshness and flavour that you expect from a wine made using this process.

The wine is made from 96% Fer Servadou (also known as Mansois) which is local to the region around the Aveyron and then in an arc down to the area around the town of Gaillac which is just north of Toulouse. The remaining 4% is Gamay.

This wine can be drunk as an aperitif or matched to quite a wide range of foods.

RRP: SOLD OUT

Nicolas Carmarans IGP Aveyron Selves 2012

The Nicolas Carmarans Selves is produced from old vine Chenin Blanc that thrives in the cold valley near Campouriez in the Aveyron. This is an unbelievably beautiful wine for those who love the power and elegance of this much sought-after grape variety.

When we tried it this year during a lunch at chez Nicolas overlooking the beautiful river that meanders through the steep gorges here we were stunned again by the purity and elegance displayed by this wine.

RRP: SOLD OUT

Nicolas Carmarans Vin de France l'Olto Rouge 2012

The Nicolas Carmarans l'Olto is a single varietal 100% Fer Servadou (known locally as Mansois). The vines that the grapes come from are reasonably old and thrive in clay soils. The grapes undergo semi-carbonic maceration in 15 hectolitre conical tanks for 20 days and are then transferred to old barriques for 12 months. Before bottling, the tank spends a day in the sun to give it more strength says Nicolas.

RRP: $43